Last updated: February 1, 2022
Exelon Corporation (“Exelon”), its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, including Atlantic City Electric Company (“ACE”), Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (“BGE”), Commonwealth Edison Company (“ComEd”), Delmarva Power & Light Company (“DPL”), PECO Energy Company (“PECO”), Potomac Electric Power Company (“Pepco”), and their respective subsidiaries (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Exelon” or “Exelon companies,” “us,” “we,” or “our”), are strongly committed to protecting your privacy and that of our customers and the users of our websites and mobile applications as well as our products and services, including short code text messaging services (collectively, “Services”). In light of this commitment, we adhere to the practices provided below.
Collecting and using personal information
Through your use of our Site and Services we may collect Personal Information (“PI”), which is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to you as an identifiable individual. PI may include, but is not limited to, your first and last name, home or business address, email address, and telephone number. We may also combine the PI that we collect on our Site with information we collect about you offline.
We collect the following types of information:
PI and Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”) Provided by You
We collect PI from you when you use our Site and Services. While we do not require you to provide PI in order to navigate our Site, we must collect certain PI and PII if you choose to use our Services. PII includes information where your name is combined with your Social Security number, driver’s license number, state identification card number, bank account number, credit card or debit card number, or unique biometric data. We may also collect PI and PII when you create or modify an online account, complete any self-service transaction with us online, or otherwise provide us with PI and PII in any correspondence. This may include any of your questions, comments, or suggestions submitted through our Site or if you fill out a survey.
When you voluntarily provide us with a cell phone number on our Site, you are giving us express written consent to use that number for the purpose indicated, or if given with regard to your utility account or other account with us, express written consent to communicate information to you that is closely related to such account, so long as you have not given us instructions to the contrary. You may revoke this consent at any time by any reasonable method. Your consent to be contacted by us is not required in order to receive our Services.
Device and Usage Information
We may automatically collect the following types of information as you use our Site:
- Usage Information: We collect certain information automatically through your use of our Site, such as which pages on our Site you access, the frequency of access, information about purchases or other transactions made on our Site, and what you click on while on our Site.
- Location Information: We may collect information about your actual location that may be determined from GPS and other sensors that may reveal information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the device you are using, such as hardware model, operating system, application version number, browser, and IP addresses.
- Mobile Device Information: In addition to the Device Information listed above, when you access our Site via a browser on your mobile device or through the use of one of our mobile applications, we may also collect mobile network information including telephone number, the unique device identifier assigned to that device, mobile carrier, operating system, and other device attributes. We may also access functions on your mobile device for the operation of our mobile application, which can include: telephone, camera, browser, social media apps, fingerprinting, or GPS.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
“Cookies” are small text files that are stored within your computer’s or mobile device’s memory by a website through your browser. Cookies enable a website such as ours to keep track of your activities on that website, and to improve your use of the website, such as by keeping track of your preferences.
You can change your browser settings on your personal computer or mobile device so that cookies are not stored. If you reject cookies, you may still use our Site, but you may not have access to some of our Site’s functions and your ability to use some areas of our Site may be limited.
We may also use other website or mobile tracking technologies to identify you and keep track of your preferences, prevent fraudulent activity or improve Site security, assess the performance of our Site, and deliver content to you based on your interests on our Site and third-party websites.
Statistical or aggregated information does not directly identify you or any specific person, but it may be derived from your PI. For example, we may aggregate PI to calculate the percentage of users in a particular ZIP code.
Third-Party Data Collection
One third-party service we use is Google Analytics, which is a service provided by Google. Google utilizes the data collected to track and examine the use of our Site and may share this data with other Google services. You can learn more about Google’s privacy practices by visiting their website at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. We also use the web customer satisfaction survey services of Foresee Results. You can learn more about Foresee’s privacy practices by visiting their website at http://www.foreseeresults.com/privacy-policy.shtml.
How We Use and Share Information
We use the PI we collect in the following ways:
- To Provide Services: We use PI that we collect in order to provide any Services that you may request.
- Communicate: We use PI to communicate with you about our Site or Services. We may also use your PI to send you account updates or other communications regarding your account or to inform you of any changes to our Site or Services, or to send you information, recommendations and promotions that we believe will be of interest to you. Exelon companies may send the contact information collected through our Site to other Exelon companies, to the extent permitted by applicable law, or such communications may be sent directly to you through our Site, such as push notifications.
You should note that Exelon companies may use other electronic media for communications (such as social media), which may have their own separate privacy policies that govern the privacy of information that is shared or collected through your use of them.
- Customer Support: We may use your PI to provide you support or other services you request. For example, we may need certain information in order to provide technical support or answer questions about our Site or Services.
- To Improve Our Services: We may use your PI for statistical analyses, generating surveys, and doing market research in order to improve our Services. We may use information collected on our Site to personalize your experience on our Site.
- Site Maintenance: We analyze how our users interact with our Site in order to maintain and improve our Site. We also use information that we collect to diagnose any problems with our Site.
- Legitimate Business Purposes. We may use your PI or PII for any other business purpose we deem legitimate, as permitted by applicable law.
We reserve the right to share information, including PII, with third parties, as described below:
- Service Providers: We may share information with service providers that (i) help us perform Site functions and process your transactions, or (ii) provide services to us for legitimate business purposes, as permitted by applicable law. This information sharing is subject to a confidentiality agreement protecting that information. For example, we share information with electronic bill payment service providers so that you may pay for Services. We also sometimes share utility usage information with service providers to support the utilities’ legal obligation to perform energy efficiency services.
- Within Our Corporate Family: We may share information with a parent company, franchisees, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
- Corporate Structure: We may share information in connection with a contemplated or actual merger, acquisition, consolidation, change of control, or sale of all or a portion of our assets or if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation.
- To Prevent Harm: We may share information if we believe it is necessary in order to detect, investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person.
- For Legal Purposes: We will share information where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to or in compliance with court or regulatory agency orders, legal proceedings, or legal process; to exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims or demands; or to comply with the requirements of any applicable law.
- With Your Consent: We may request your permission to share your PI for a specific purpose not described above. In such case, we will notify you and request consent before you provide the PI or before the PI you have already provided is shared for such purpose.
The security of your PI and PII is important to us. We maintain reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security measures to protect and limit access to your PI and PII. No method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage technology is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your PI and PII, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
You should exercise discretion in what information you send to us by email. We cannot guarantee that email sent over the Internet is secure and will not be intercepted by others before it reaches us. We are not responsible for the security of information contained in emails sent over the Internet.
Our Site is intended to provide general information about the Exelon companies and their Services. We will not knowingly collect PI from children under 13 years of age, nor will we knowingly allow children under 13 years of age to use certain features of our Site without the consent of a child’s parent or guardian. We will not knowingly disclose PI collected from children. If we become aware that a child under 13 years of age has provided us with PI, we take immediate steps to delete such PI.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Do Not Track
Our Site is not currently configured to respond to Do Not Track signals sent by browsers.
Disclosure to Government
We reserve the right to monitor and disclose, without your consent, any communications, PI or PII, whenever requested to do so by courts, government agencies, or by law enforcement authorities.
We do not sell the PI or PII of California residents.
Exelon (Nasdaq: EXC) is a Fortune 250 company and the nation’s largest energy delivery company, serving more than 10 million customers through six fully regulated transmission and distribution utilities — Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco). More than 18,000 Exelon employees dedicate their time and expertise to powering a cleaner and brighter future for our customers and communities through reliable, affordable and efficient energy delivery, workforce development, equity, economic development and volunteerism. Follow Exelon on Twitter @Exelon.