BYRON, Ill. - Exelon's Byron Generating Station awarded scholarships to five local high school graduates for their efforts during their high school careers.
Christopher Brauns and Sydney Gatz of Stillman Valley High School, Sawyer Reynolds of Oregon High School, and John Gordon and Lyndsey Schultz of Byron High School were chosen by their respective school's faculty to receive the Byron Generating Station scholarships.
"Exelon and Byron Generating Station are privileged to award local students with these scholarships to help advance their academic futures," said Byron Site Vice President Russ Kearney. "Our hope is that our gesture enables these students to fulfill their academic wishes and advance into careers they find stimulating and rewarding."
Stillman Valley High School scholarship winners
• Gatz will major in biomedical science at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. She graduated as valedictorian of her class.
• Brauns has been involved in a range of activities including varsity football and several musicals. He is planning on attending Cedarville University in Ohio.
Oregon High School scholarship winner
• Reynolds will study engineering at Iowa State University and plans to earn a degree in structural engineering. He was a three-sport athlete.
Byron High School scholarship winners
• Schultz will attend the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana to study nursing. She played three sports and was on the math team.
• Gordon will study aerospace engineering at the University of Illinois. The National Honor Society member graduated in the top ten of his class.
In all, Bryon Generating Station donated $3,000 in scholarships. "We salute these students and wish them well in their future endeavors," Kearney said.