The new company has one of the industry’s cleanest and lowest-cost power generation fleets and one of the largest commercial, industrial, and residential customer bases in the country. Together the companies will continue to drive innovation, efficiency, customer choice and better rates.
Creating a platform for growth that benefits all stakeholders
- Customers. Increased scale and financial strength will help bring more competition and clean energy supply to more customers.
While the regulated utilities will continue to operate independently, BGE, ComEd, and PECO customers will benefit from shared best practices across a broad utility portfolio. The merger is expected to benefit customers as all three utilities work together to continually improve performance.
Customer Accounts: Exelon Energy and Exelon Power Team customers can find additional information about the integration with Constellation at ExelonEnergy.com and Constellation.com.
- Shareholders. This transaction offers clear financial upside for both sets of shareholders. It is anticipated to be break-even to Exelon's adjusted earnings in 2012; in 2013, it is expected to be accretive to earnings by more than 5%.
The market capitalization of the combined company will be $34 billion with an enterprise value of $52 billion.
- Communities. Exelon isa responsible corporate citizen in Chicago, Philadelphia and Baltimore. The company has committed to investing in Maryland and Baltimore through the development of new renewable generation, research and development, energy efficiency investments, and charitable giving.
“Exelon continues to serve as an economic engine making large-scale investments and contributions in the key states where it operates. Through this merger, we will play a similar economic investment role in Maryland.”
Providing Clean Power and Competitive Prices
The new company will bring clean power and competitive prices to millions of customers as we are:
- One of the largest competitive suppliers of electricity, gas and other products and services to commercial, industrial and residential customers and with operations and business activities in 47 states, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- The largest regulated distributor of electricity and gas, with 6.6 million customers in Illinois, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
- One of the nation's cleanest power generators(about 55 % nuclear, 24 % natural gas and 8 % renewable/hydro) and has a leadership position in commercial solar energy development, energy efficiency and demand response services.
Investing in Baltimore
Exelon, Constellation and BGE will provide a package of benefits totaling more than $1 billion that is expected to create more than 6,000 jobs in Maryland. A new headquarters building in Baltimore is expected to create 1,000 of these jobs and provide new tax revenue for the city.
With input from key community stakeholders and an extensive exploration of locations throughout the core of downtown Baltimore, Exelon has conditionally selected East Development Group, LLC, as the developer for the proposed headquarters to be located at Harbor Point between Fells Point and Harbor East. Learn more about the new headquarters in the newsroom.
"We are excited to move forward with our plans to build a new Baltimore headquarters facility, bringing significant benefits to the City of Baltimore, including additional jobs and tax revenue."