Sign In

 

 

 

 

 

Salem Generating Station<div class="intro-content copy-section">​​​​​​​​Salem Nuclear Power Plant is located in Hancocks Bridge, N.J. about 18 miles south of Wilmington, Del. It's a 2-unit nuclear power facility that can produce enough electricity to power more than 2 million average American homes. PSEG owns 57% of Salem, Exelon Corporation owns the remaining 43%. </div><div class="grouper"><div class="row"><div class="grouper-section"> </div><div class="section-header"><h4>Committed to safety</h4></div><div class="grouper-content"><div class="cta-generic"><p>We use "defense-in-depth" design, which means there are redundant, diverse, and reliable safety systems to supply water to the reactor core. Every safety system has at least one independent back-up system and many have more than one. Plant safety systems are also run by multiple, redundant power sources. Certain equipment is designed to automatically shut down the plant if the need arises due to a condition outside of normal operations.</p><p>We also count on our people. Before they become Exelon employees, job applicants must pass thorough background checks. Exelon Nuclear then invests in training programs - both initial training and continuous programs for existing, experienced operations staff.</p><p>Much of our operations training is done in a full-scale electronic simulator of a control room. Initial training includes 12 weeks in the classroom, 25 weeks in the control room simulator and 16 weeks of on-the-job training. Once an employee is licensed by the NRC, that operator will continually train by spending one week in a control room simulator for every five weeks spent on shift in the control room. Even our most senior reactor operators receive training every six weeks, for a total of 8.5 weeks of training every year. </p><p> <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=7628dbb4-4e0e-44ff-8ad0-757ff755058a&TermSetId=4edbe393-511d-4d44-ae11-d078f6633c49&TermId=4e57e9f3-21ec-4324-acf4-c7167186d0c8">Learn more about the safety of Exelon's nuclear energy plants.</a></p></div></div></div></div><div class="grouper"><div class="row"><div class="grouper-section"> </div><div class="section-header"><h4>Generating more low-carbon electricity</h4></div><div class="grouper-content"><div class="cta-generic"><p>Today's nuclear energy facilities produce 64 percent of America's clean, carbon-free electricity. As America confronts climate change and seeks to reduce carbon emissions, nuclear energy is a vital part of the mix. It's a 24/7 provider of base load power, far more productive than other clean energy sources and far more reliable, too. </p></div></div></div></div><div class="grouper"><div class="row"><div class="grouper-section"> </div><div class="section-header"><h4>Sophisticated emergency planning​</h4></div><div class="grouper-content"><div class="cta-generic"><p>Safety is Exelon Generation's first and highest obligation. Nuclear power plants are among the best-protected private sector facilities in America, with monitoring and inspections by plant owners, local officials and the federal government. </p><p>All nuclear energy facilities in America are required to develop and test detailed emergency response plans to protect the public. The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) reviews and approves these plans. The NRC also coordinates approval of these plans with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).</p></div></div></div></div><div class="grouper"><div class="row"><div class="grouper-section"> </div>​ <div class="section-header"><h4>Plant Security</h4></div><div class="grouper-content"><div class="cta-generic"><p>By design and construction, nuclear facilities are very difficult to penetrate. That, plus a well-armed paramilitary security force, and multiple backup safety systems, delivers layer upon layer of safety.</p><p>The nuclear energy industry maintains very strict security to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to critical equipment or approaching close enough to harm the facility either by land or air. America's 62 nuclear sites are protected by sophisticated surveillance systems and approximately 9,000 highly trained, armed officers.</p><p>The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission now considers new threat scenarios and protections in emergency preparedness in light of the threat of terrorist attacks. After September 11, 2001, all those involved in emergency planning reevaluated those plans and put additional practices in place. Exelon Generation has open lines of communications with the Dept. of Homeland Security.</p></div></div></div></div>Salem Generating Station

​​

 

 

 

Salem Generating StationGP0|#036d7cad-49e3-4a98-8821-efa704301d6d L0|#0036d7cad-49e3-4a98-8821-efa704301d6d|Exelon Generation GTSet|#bb697efb-4d63-4298-b4d0-ab279caf3fe8http://www.exeloncorp.com/locations/Lists/Locations/DispForm.aspx?ID=553Salem Generating Station

About this facility

Directions