In 2008, we established Exelon 2020, a leading-edge program that challenged us to reduce our emissions from operations and to reduce the indirect emissions from our customers and electricity markets nationwide. We set a broad-based performance goal of abating 15.7 million metric tons of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per year by 2020, or the equivalent of our total GHG emissions in 2001, the first year of Exelon’s existence.
Following the merger with Constellation Energy in March 2012, we updated our industry-leading business and environmental program and increased the Exelon 2020 goal to incorporate two prior GHG commitments set by Constellation Energy.
Exelon 2020 Update
Learn more about how we updated our industry-leading business and environmental program.
Our values include the following environmental commitments:
Our focus on Climate Change:
- Why Us? Why Now?
- While society continues to debate climate change, our conviction remains clear - climate change is real and our industrial world is a significant contributing factor. Exelon focuses on the reduction of carbon emissions because we hold an influential role as an electricity generator and distributor in seeing this industry through to a sustainable future.
1. We actively pursue excellence
We are driven to excel. Recognizing the value of constant improvement, we reach beyond compliance to advance our processes and develop more clean and efficient energy. In all we do, we passionately exceed the standards of our industry--and those we set for ourselves--to create value for our shareholders, customers and communities.
- We diligently manage our interactions with the environment, including the air, land and water we use, while taking action to preserve, protect and restore the bio-diverse habitats in which we operate.
- Sound governance plays an integral role in our ability to achieve results, provides direction for improving the company's environmental performance, and helps us set expectations for those with whom we work.
back to top
2. We innovate to better serve our customers.
We see every challenge as an opportunity to exercise our ingenuity and curiosity to develop better ways of delivering clean energy. We innovate with focus and intent, creating the solutions that matter most for our customers.
- Smart Meters. All three of our utilities are implementing smart meter programs to help customers conserve energy, save money, and make smarter energy choices. Smart meters provide increased access to energy usage and cost information, additional energy management product and service programs and more efficient outage management.
- At Home Energy Efficiency Programs. Through the ComEd and PECO Smart Ideas programs and BGE Smart Energy Savers program, our utilites' home energy audits have helped customers save millions of megawatt hours of electricity.
back to top
- The charter for the Governance Committee of the Exelon Board of Directors includes the responsibility for overseeing Exelon’s environmental policies and practices, which includes climate change and sustainability, as well as Exelon 2020.
3. We act with integrity and are accountable to our communities and the environment.
We are committed to doing what’s right and we actively look for ways to engage and give back to our communities. Therefore, we work to reduce our impact on the environment with future generations in mind.
- Since 2009, Exelon has engaged with Ceres to convene an independent stakeholder team comprising of individuals with broad expertise in environmental, social and governance issues to provided extensive feedback on the adequacy of our sustainability reporting.
- In consultation with the World Resources Institute, we have undertaken a water stress analysis for our generation fleet. We are also developing tools to predict near- and long-term fluctuations of our water resources due to potential weather pattern changes, including those linked to climatic change, increased population density and upstream use.
- For eight consecutive years, Exelon has been included in the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI).
- In 2013, Exelon was the only U.S.-based utility company to appear on CDP’s Global 500 Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI) and Climate Performance Leadership Index (CPLI) for leadership in reducing carbon emissions and addressing climate change. Exelon was one of only two utilities named to the S&P 500 CDLI and CPLI.
- Exelon Corporation was also named to the 2013 CPA-Zicklin Index of Corporate Political Accountability & Disclosure as a corporate leader for disclosure and accountability.
- Exelon ranked fifth among utilities in the Newsweek Magazine “2012 Green Rankings".
back to top