ComEd is committed to be the best electric delivery and energy information company. This includes providing safe, reliable service for all ComEd customers at affordable rates. ComEd’s safety performance is rated among the highest of the nation’s utilities and ComEd continues to improve service to customers in northern Illinois through innovation.
ComEd Fact Sheet [PDF, 24 KB]ComEd maintains more than 70,000 miles of power lines in northern Illinois and provides service to approximately 3.8 million customers, or 70% of the state’s population.
With a long history of effectively serving the Greater Philadelphia region and a well-established commitment to creating a culture of excellence, PECO strives to meet and exceed the highest industry standards. PECO’s safety performance is ranked among the best in the nation and PECO has been widely recognized for its community service, economic development and operational and environmental efforts.
PECO Fact Sheet [PDF, 26 KB]PECO, Pennsylvania’s largest electric and natural gas utility, operates and maintains 23,000 miles of distribution and transmission lines and 6,700 miles of underground gas mains. PECO serves 1.6 million electric customers and 497,000 natural gas customers.
For nearly 200 years, BGE has been the innovator in meeting the energy needs of Central Maryland residents and businesses with a growing array of programs, services and resources that are defining the next generation of energy management. This innovation continues today as BGE serves more than 1.2 million electric customers and more than 650,000 gas customers.
BGE Fact Sheet [PDF, 24 KB]BGE is Maryland’s oldest and largest utility serving more than 1.2 million electric customers and more than 650,000 gas customers in an economically diverse, 2,300-square-mile area encompassing Baltimore City and all or part of 10 central Maryland counties.
Investment in Reliability
In an effort to keep the lights on and the gas flowing, Exelon companies constantly monitor the status of their electrical and natural gas system to ensure safe operations and service reliability.
- Since the late 1990s, ComEd has invested more than $9 billion in its electrical transmission and distribution systems as a part of its commitment to provide its customers with quality service.
- Since 2006, PECO has invested more than $2.5 billion to keep the lights on and the gas flowing for its customers. This includes maintenance, system performance and capacity expansion projects as a part of its commitment to maintain the quality service customers have come to expect.
- Over the past 10 years, BGE has invested more than $3 billion in gas and electric transmission and distribution systems and is continuing its tradition in industry innovation by investing in a leading-edge smart grid program.
Safety and Security
Exelon’s delivery companies operate in a heightened state of alert for unanticipated conditions on the grid, including storms. Exelon’s delivery companies have invested considerable time and financial resources to ensure protection of business, daily operations, employees and service to customers.
- Security is of the utmost importance to Exelon and we work with relevant organizations and outside agencies to ensure that security matters, known to the utility industry, are addressed in our operations.
- Safety is a core Exelon value which its delivery companies emphasize through safety programs for employees, contractors, customers and the communities we service.
As part of Exelon 2020, we are greening our operations and helping our customers reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
- In 2011, ComEd and PECO energy efficiency customer programs saved customers 291 million kwh in energy savings, equivalent to a reduction of over 600,000 metric tonnes of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Over the next five years, spending on energy efficiency and demand response at ComEd and PECO is anticipated to reach $200 million per year in northern Illinois and southeastern Pennsylvania, resulting in an estimated cumulative energy savings of 3.8 million MWh and a reduction in peak load of 328 MW in ComEd territory and 355 MW in PECO territory.
- In 2011, ComEd and PECO combined purchased more than 580,000 Mwh of renewable energy credits (RECs) to expand our green product and service offerings for customers, and meet state renewable portfolio standards (RPS) and support the development of these new technologies.
With the merger, BGE's customer programs will complement the other Exelon utilities:
- BGE's Smart Energy Savers Program® is designed to help customers reduce energy usage in support of EmPOWER Maryland’s goal of a 15% per capita reduction in energy consumption and demand by 2015. BGE customers have achieved an overall energy savings of nearly 900 million kilowatt hours, equivalent to eliminating the carbon dioxide emissions from the electricity use of nearly 76,000 homes.
- BGE’s demand response program, PeakRewards, offers residential customers choices to help them save money and reduce the demand for electricity during peak times. Over the past three years, participants in the PeakRewards program have provided more than 520,000 megawatts of demand reduction.