PECO’s service territory includes Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia and York counties.
- Quick Facts
- Service Area: 2,100 square miles
- Customers: 1.6 million electric; 497,000 natural gas
- Employees: 2,400
- 2011 Revenues: $3,720 million
- 2011 Assets: $9,156 million
- Substations: 450
- Distribution & Transmission Power Lines: More than 23,000 miles
With a history of more than 100 years of service to the Greater Philadelphia region, PECO has a long-standing commitment to a culture of excellence. PECO’s safety performance is ranked among utilities as one of the best in the nation and the company has been widely recognized for its community service, economic development and operational and environmental efforts.
Investments in Reliability
Committed to providing reliable service to its customers, PECO has invested more than $2.5 billion in infrastructure improvements and operations since 2006.
- Infrastructure. This year PECO will invest about $440 million in continued modernization and growth of its natural gas, electric distribution and transmission systems in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties. Since 2006, the company has invested more than $2.5 billion to keep the lights on and the gas flowing for its customers.
- New Technology. PECO’s $650 million technology initiative is one of the largest investments in the company’s more than 100 year history. This technology will help PECO more efficiently operate its system and provide future new products and services to its customers. Work is underway to install new metering technology for all 1.6 million electric customers
Performance and Service
- Safety Recognition. PECO has been recognized as Pennsylvania’s safest utility by the state Department of Labor & Industry and has received related awards from the Energy Association of Pennsylvania and the American Gas Association. In 2008, PECO was also ranked #1 among the nation’s largest investor-owned utilities in a review by the Edison Electric Institute.
- Reliable Delivery. PECO’s culture of continuous improvement is reflected by its 2008 non-storm reliability rating, its highest ever, and a steady improvement reliability trend since 2002. With comprehensive system maintenance, technology upgrades and other distribution system improvements, the company works to minimize outages and reduce the duration of service interruptions when they occur.
Safety is a core value of all Exelon companies. PECO emphasizes safety through programs for its employees, contractors, customers and the communities it serves. PECO also maintains emergency-response and storm-readiness plans that are tested with multiple drills throughout each year.
PECO contributes to the goals of Exelon 2020, through initiatives to green its operations and by helping customers reduce their own greenhouse gas emissions.
- Greening Operations. PECO's multi-year LEED® certification process for 10 of its largest buildings has yielded a savings of 12%. Some of these facilities have reduced electricity and gas usage by 50% and water usage by 40%. PECO continues to pursue energy efficiency improvements and LEED
- Customer Programs. PECO launched its Smart Ideas program in 2009. The comprehensive, $342 million energy efficiency program for residential and business customers is pursuing a goal to reduce overall consumption by 3% and peak load by 4.5% by June 2013. The program has already helped customers save nearly $180 million in energy costs..
- Environmental Leadership. PECO is spending $15.3 million over five years to protect and preserve all things green – from changing over to an environmentally friendly fleet of vehicles to distributing community grants to conserve and create green spaces. Thhe company also educate teachers about energy and the environment so that they can transfer that learning to our youth, recycle thousands of tons of paper, metal and plastic annually and work to maximize the energy efficiency of our daily operations.
PECO's Crown Lights
The PECO Crown Lights atop the Main Office Building headquarters were updated with the installation of 2 million energy-efficient LEDs (light-emitting diodes) with color capacity--a 40% energy savings.
The company has been widely recognized for its community service, economic development, and environmental efforts.
- Sponsorships. Ingrained in PECO’s culture is a commitment to support organizations, institutions, and events that promote and enhance the quality of life for its customers and communities. PECO sponsors numerous events throughout the year.
- Grants. Celebrating the vitality of our region means complementing our charitable giving with energy and enthusiasm. It is with this spirit that PECO supports all aspects of the communities it serves by directing funding to organizations working to improve our schools, our environment, and our cultural institutions. Last year, the company gave more than 500 grants valued at more than $5.0 million.